Welcome again to another episode of Engineer Your Success! Today, our special guest Dustin DeVries
Dustin has been living and breathing in software development for over 20 years. He is the Co-Founder of Caffeine Interactive Technologies, an agency that focuses on planning strategies and architecture, ensuring that software implementations are straightforward based on clear ways to measure success. He enjoys working with clients to build the right technology, whether it’s a multi-tiered mobile app built with React and Laravel or a simple website based on WordPress. He received his Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from Texas A&M University.
Dustin is proud to work with some of the most talented business analysts and developers in the industry. He is a solopreneur and has grown his company based on a 100% remote team that has been thriving for the last eight years.
Dustin enjoys playing tennis, fishing, reading, gardening, music, hiking, and hanging out with his family in his spare time. He believes that a work-life balance is essential to operate a business, overcoming adversities, and finding a bigger purpose in life. He is eager to discuss the importance of having personal freedom while being a successful entrepreneur in the software industry, working with remote teams, and managing family crises.
Let’s know more about Dustin with no further ado Let’s dive in!
[00:31 – 07:08] How to Sell Like an Engineer: Tips from a Business Owner
- Dustin DeVries is a software developer from Austin, Texas, who has been in the industry for 20 years.
- He broke off from his semiconductor job to start a freelance business and then started his own company a few years later.
- Selling has been one of the hardest things for him to learn, but he has found some success by focusing on selling to specific customer profiles and understanding their problems.
[07:09 – 14:29] Tips For Growing Your Business
- You’re getting that interest from the beginning and then bringing them along, starting a conversation with potential customers is key to success for a company like ours.
- No matter what industry you’re in, being able to focus on your value proposition and what your customers need will help you stand out.
- Being able to research your target market and figure out what their problems are will help you create solutions that are valuable to them.
[14:29 – 21:34] How to Build a Strong Remote Team
- Dustin’s life changed after they decided to become self-employed and work from home.
- How Dustin’s relationship with his wife changed and how it was a blessing to be able to be home with his children when they first arrived.
- Being self-employed has its challenges, including that engineers are people too and that we need to be more intentional about building relationships with our employees.
[21:35 – 28:38] Success Principles for Managers: Journaling, Sticking to One Thing, and Measuring Success
- Dustin recommends having a one-on-one meeting with employees every quarter to check in on their progress and help facilitate any needed assistance.
- Success principles that Dustin has found helpful over the years include journaling, setting measurable goals, and focusing on long-term goals.
[28:38 – 30:44] Closing Segment
- Parting Notes
Learn more about Dustin DaVries by following him on LinkedIn
or visiting caffeineinteractive.com
Banowetz Marketing: Growing a business is hard. Banowetz Marketing provides an action plan and expert help so your family business can thrive.
Coupon Code: JAMES to get 3 FREE hours of logo design or redesign work with the purchase of any other product.
If this content impacts you, please subscribe for more access to the empowering conversations from me and guests working to help you engineer your success!
Use this link to drop a question or a topic that you would like to see covered on a future episode: Questions or topic suggestions.
You have the strength of a hero within you. Check out my website https://betteryou4u.com/ and learn how to unlock your potential and achieve success both in business and in life.
Important Resources to Note:
- Click here https://sleekbio.com/jbryant for important resources mentioned on this podcast
“I look back over a two-week period or a month and see that I’ve been struggling with some of the same things each and every day. Then that’s how I start to identify those blind spots and start to do something to be more intentional about fixing them.” – Dustin DeVries
“Now you’re in this hybrid situation, which is a totally different animal because you have people who want to be in the office and are looking at the people who are not in the office. And so you have to develop new strategies to engage your employees and the relationships that you wanna foster. You’re not going to totally replace what you had in person, but there are some things that you can do to help build your team, your camaraderie in the lines of communication in this hybrid environment.” – Dr. James Bryant